[Snort-users] sizing a snort ids system?

Michael Cunningham archive at ...228...
Tue Aug 1 17:02:19 EDT 2000

Folks,

I am trying to get my boss to let me install snort in our environment to
improve security around here a bit. I am wondering how big of a
system I should ask for and what type.

I could probably con him into running it on linux, openbsd, or Solaris.
Linux and OpenBSD being x86 systems and Solaris being a sparc.

What in your humble opinion is the best operating system to run snort
under (for the best performance). I know OpenBSD rules security wise
but, I am more concerned about keeping up with 45 mbits of traffic that
comes down our t3. If you suggest linux or openbsd.. what size x86
system should I get? If you suggest Solaris then what size sparc in your
opinion would do the job?

Thanks for any help you can offer....
Mike