[Snort-sigs] Snort not updating any .rules except snort.rules in /rules directory

Michael Shkolnik michael.shkolnik at webcasts.com
Thu May 23 14:32:40 EDT 2019

Hi Joel,

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly. I took a look inside the snort.rules before I reached out to you and did not see the latest threats being added despite what appears to be a successful rule pulldown, which is why I became concerned and reached out. If you could kindly look at the provided screenshot, you will notice that the pulled down rules do not match what is on the release notes for May 20th: https://snort.org/advisories/talos-rules-2019-05-20

Also, if all rules files are consolidated into a single snort.rules files, why do Snort release notes show modifications to other .rules files per the url I provided earlier?

" Talos has added and modified multiple rules in the deleted, file-flash, file-other, file-pdf, malware-cnc, os-windows and server-webapp rule sets to provide coverage for emerging threats from these technologies."

If it helps, I am running Snort Version 2.9.9.0 GRE (Build 56) FreeBSD

Best,

Michael Shkolnik | Engineering | PGi | New York, NY