[Snort-sigs] SID 1-44076 Suspicious .trade dns query

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Tue May 29 10:49:13 EDT 2018

On 05/29/2018 09:46 AM, Jorge Junco wrote:
> Sorry, a'm really new here and it seem to be a simple question...

we all started somewhere :)

> MY DC ist up-to date! Does it mean the Sophos Firewall Software or my Windows
> Updates?

the first step is to determine /where/ those .trade DNS lookups are coming
from... there may be a machine on your network making them... i don't know if
alerting on those lookups means there is something bad on your network or if
they are just an indicator of something that might be bad... it is possible that
they may lead to something bad... generally these types of rules are in the
policy category...

anyway, once you determine where those lookups are coming from, then you have to
determine /why/... if it is a legit lookup from an allowed application, then you
may want to disable that rule for that one system's IP (hint: threshold.conf)...
if it is not legit, then you have some bit of a mess to clean up on that machine...

to find out where the lookup is coming from, you could look in the logs for
snort or in the database, if your setup has such a monitoring and reporting
capability... worst case is you would look at the pcap file that alert is saved
in using something like wireshark (gui) or tcpdump (cli)...