[Snort-sigs] New tools for testing Snort rules and crafting pcaps

David Wharton snort-sigs at davidwharton.us
Tue Nov 21 22:42:20 EST 2017

I know some of you may have already see this but for those who haven't
-- last week Secureworks released two open-source tools for IDS rule
testing and pcap creation: Dalton and Flowsynth.

Dalton is a system that allows a user to quickly and easily run network
packet captures against a Snort version of his choice using defined
rulesets and/or custom (ad-hoc) rules.  Flowsynth is a tool for rapidly
modeling network traffic and creating pcaps. More details in the repo
READMEs.

https://github.com/secureworks/dalton
https://github.com/secureworks/flowsynth
https://www.secureworks.com/blog/new-open-source-ids-tools

I hope you find them useful; I know I sure do.

-David Wharton