[Snort-sigs] Error with snort rule files

Kmar kmar.grantsmith at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 12:14:25 EST 2017

Hello, I have attempting to use various rule files such as bad-traffic.rules, dos.rules, etc, to analyze a pcap file for malicious traffic. Unfortunately,  Ir receive the same error for every rule file I attempt to use.  It works with the regular snort.conf file.

I use the following command:

Snort -r pcapfilename.pcap -c rulefilename.rules

I receive the following error:

Undefined variable in the string $EXTERNAL_NET

I have edited the rule files but nothing seems to work properly.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10