[Snort-sigs] rule exclusion by content

Al Lewis (allewi) allewi at cisco.com
Thu Jul 13 11:58:00 EDT 2017

You can negate content:

http://manual-snort-org.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/node32.html#SECTION00451000000000000000

Taken from the “note” section

Note:

A ! modifier negates the results of the entire content search, modifiers included. For example, if using content:!"A"; within:50; and there are only 5 bytes of payload and there is no "A" in those 5 bytes, the result will return a match. If there must be 50 bytes for a valid match, use isdataat as a pre-cursor to the content.

Albert Lewis
ENGINEER.SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
SOURCEfire, Inc. now part of Cisco
Email: allewi at cisco.com<mailto:allewi at cisco.com>