[Snort-sigs] rule exclusion by content

lravelo at us.hellmann.net lravelo at us.hellmann.net
Thu Jul 13 11:52:25 EDT 2017

Good morning,

I have this rule which generates way too many alerts in squert:

alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET 53 -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"PROTOCOL-DNS TMG
Firewall Client long host entry exploit attempt"; sid:19187; gid:3; rev:7;
classtype:attempted-user; reference:cve,2011-1889;
reference:url,technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS11-040;
metadata: engine shared, soid 3|19187, policy max-detect-ips drop;)

we use OpenDNS in our environment and it seems like every single alert
contains "opendns" somewhere in the content.  I'm sure there's a way to
adjust or create another rule which negates the alert if the payload
contains the word "opendns" but I've not seen any examples of this online.
 Any help is appreciated :-)

Regards,

Lazaro Ravelo
ISS Systems Engineer II

Hellmann Worldwide Logistics Inc.
10450 Doral Blvd
Doral, FL  33178
Phone:  +1 305 406 4500
Fax:  +1 305 418 4992
Direct:  +1 305 406 4574
Mobile:  +1 305 927 1386
Email:  Lazaro.Ravelo at us.hellmann.net
Web:  www.hellmann.com

THINKING AHEAD - MOVING FORWARD

07/13/2017----11:43:39 AM

>Disclaimer: Please note that Internet communications are not secure and
therefore HELLMANN WORLDWIDE LOGISTICS does not accept legal
responsibility for the contents of this message. This e-mail is intended
only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain
information that is confidential and privileged. If you are not the
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Opinions,
conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to
the official business of HELLMANN WORLDWIDE LOGISTICS shall be understood
as neither given nor endorsed by it. Viruses: HELLMANN WORLDWIDE LOGISTICS
takes all possible steps to ensure that emails are virus free, but does
not accept any liability or responsibility whatsoever for any claims,
losses or damages arising as a result of any party accessing this email or
files attached to it.