[Snort-sigs] Snort Rule Creation

John G drterdnugget at ...2420...
Tue Jan 31 17:33:07 EST 2017

Good Afternoon everyone,

My name is John and I am starting out with creating Snort rules.  I have
experience using Snort with IDS's such as Sourcefire and Security Onion for
incident response.  However, i don't have much experience creating custom
rules.  Although i once created a rule during one of my security classes
during my undergrad program lol  Anyway, i have been reading documentation
for how to understand/create rules from a variety of sources.  But I wanted
to reach out to you guys and see what information you can provide.

I have a device that is communicating with about 8 other devices.  I would
like to write a rule that alerts if it detects any communication outside of
those devices.

Is it possible to list multiple ip addresses within a rule and maybe use an
is not "!=" attribute.

So something like: alert tcp != sourceip1  80 -> destip1, destip2, destip3,
etc (msg:"Alert Message";)

I would appreciate any assistance and will continue to do my own research
and see if i can figure it out on my own :)

Regards,
John