[Snort-sigs] Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded allows bypass of my snort rule

Avery Rozar avery.rozar at ...4102...
Sat Jan 28 09:07:09 EST 2017

I'm trying to setup a rule to deny anyone that is not coming from $VPN_NET
from attempting to log into word press.

# in snort.conf
ip var VPN_NET [cidr,cidr]

# in local.rules
drop tcp !$VPN_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"WordPress Login attempt";
flow:to_server,established; file_data; content:"wp-login"; nocase; content:
"POST"; nocase; http_method; classtype:misc-activity; sid:500001; rev:1;
metadata:policy balanced-ips drop, policy security-ips drop, service http;)

This rule seems to stop anything unless the POST is using 'Content-Type:
application/x-www-form-urlencoded'. What is the best way to allow snort to
deal with urlencoded POSTs, or is my rule just jacked up?

Thanks,
Avery