[Snort-sigs] Proposed Rules for Acunetix Scanner

Joshua Williams joshuwi2 at ...435...
Tue Jan 10 10:29:27 EST 2017


Joel,

Sounds good to me.

--
Josh Williams
Detection Response Team
TALOS Security Group

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Joel Esler (jesler) <jesler at ...3865...>
wrote:

> Josh,
>
> Let’s move those rules into community.
>
>
> *--*
> *Joel Esler *| *Talos:* Manager | jesler at ...3865...
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Jan 6, 2017, at 2:52 PM, lists at ...3397... wrote:
>
> Cool, no worries.  Cheers guys.
>
> On 01/06/17 13:13, Joshua Williams wrote:
>
> Nathan,
>
> Thanks for the submission. After careful consideration, we are going to
> hold off
> on using these rules. While the new rules would work, the 9 rules we
> already
> have in place already alert. We could technically add tons of different
> rules
> that detect Acunetix scanning, but at the end of the day the traffic is
> already
> triggering an alert. Thanks for letting us know!
>
> --
> Josh Williams
> Detection Response Team
> TALOS Security Group
>
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 3:44 PM, <lists at ...3397...
> <mailto:lists at ...3397... <lists at ...3397...>>> wrote:
>
>    No worries, Happy GNU Year ;)
>
>    On 01/03/17 14:39, Joshua Williams wrote:
>
> Nathan,
>
> Thanks for the submission. Sorry for the delay, I've been out of the
> office for
> a little bit. I'll review these and get back to you once they've finished
> testing.
>
> --
> Josh Williams
> Detection Response Team
> TALOS Security Group
>
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:58 AM, <lists at ...3397... <
> mailto:lists at ...3397... <lists at ...3397...>>
> <mailto:lists at ...3397... <lists at ...3397...> <
> mailto:lists at ...3397... <lists at ...3397...>>>> wrote:
>
>    In hindsight, classtype:web-application-attack; may make more sense.
>
>    On 12/28/16 10:47, lists at ...3397... <mailto:lists at ...3397...
> <lists at ...3397...>>
>
>    <mailto:lists at ...3397... <lists at ...3397...> <
> mailto:lists at ...3397... <lists at ...3397...>>> wrote:
>
> I did not see similar in the VRT ruleset and wanted to propose the
> following for
> inclusion into the VRT COMMUNITY ruleset.  I am unable to share a PCAP due
> to
> confidentiality, however, these should match:
>
> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"VRT COMMUNITY
> Acunetix scan in progress acunetix_wvs_security_test in http_uri";
> flow:established,to_server; content:"acunetix_wvs_security_test";
> http_uri;
> fast_pattern:only; threshold: type limit, count 1, seconds 60, track
> by_src;
> reference:url,www.acunetix.com/ <http://www.acunetix.com/>
>
>    <http://www.acunetix.com/>; classtype:attempted-recon;
>
>    sid:X; rev:1;)
>
>
> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"VRT COMMUNITY
> Acunetix scan in progress acunetix variable in http_uri";
> flow:established,to_server; content:"|24|acunetix"; http_uri;
> fast_pattern:only;
> threshold: type limit, count 1, seconds 60, track by_src;
> reference:url,www.acunetix.com/ <http://www.acunetix.com/>
>
>    <http://www.acunetix.com/>; classtype:attempted-recon;
>
>    sid:X; rev:1;)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>    ---------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------
>    Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
>    engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
>    _______________________________________________
>    Snort-sigs mailing list
>    Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
>
>    <mailto:Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
> <Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net>>
>    <mailto:Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
> <Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net>
>    <mailto:Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
> <Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net>>>
>
>    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-sigs
>
>    <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-sigs>
>
>    <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-sigs
>
>    <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-sigs>>
>
>
>    http://www.snort.org
>
>    Please visit http://blog.snort.org for the latest news about Snort!
>
>    Visit the Snort.org to subscribe to the official Snort ruleset, make
>
>    sure to
>
>    stay up to date to catch the most <a href="
>    https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads
>
>    <https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads>
>
>    <https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads
>
>    <https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads>>">emerging threats</a>!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------
> Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
> engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
> _______________________________________________
> Snort-sigs mailing list
> Snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-sigs
>
> http://www.snort.org
>
> Please visit http://blog.snort.org for the latest news about Snort!
>
> Visit the Snort.org to subscribe to the official Snort ruleset, make sure
> to stay up to date to catch the most <a href="
> https://snort.org/downloads/#rule-downloads">emerging threats</a>!
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.snort.org/pipermail/snort-sigs/attachments/20170110/f9764a96/attachment.html>


More information about the Snort-sigs mailing list