[Snort-sigs] Malicious Chrome Extensions

Stanwyck, Carraig - ASOC, Kansas City, MO Carraig.Stanwyck at ...4154...
Wed Nov 9 01:06:22 EST 2016

Good Evening,

Another quick update.  We identified more traffic with this rule from yet another domain on the list of Viacheslav Zinkevich registered sites (whywhat.top).  For anybody not tracking, I've attached the list of domains again.  This is now the 5th domain registered by this guy that's associated with malicious chrome extensions.

Regards,
Carraig Stanwyck
USDA | OCIO | ASOC

From: Stanwyck, Carraig - ASOC - Kansas City, MO
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:26 AM
To: emerging-sigs at ...3694...; snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: Malicious Chrome Extensions

I just wanted to follow up...

The published rule has already caught another malicious extension from a different domain that I included in the original text file of suspected domains, so it appears my suspicious were correct.  That said, I still have little information.  We have identified 3 infected hosts, but were only able to retrieve the extensions list on one of the machines.  Once the extensions were cleared, the traffic stopped.  That said, I haven't identified the malicious extension.

Installed Extensions on Infected Host:

-          Amazon Assistant for Chrome

-          Ambient Aura

-          Chromarks - Chrome Bookmarks Menu

-          Extensions Manager (aka Switcher)

-          Fair AdBlock (by STANDS)

-          Fair Adblock App (by STANDS)

-          Fair Ads (by STANDS)

-          Google Cast

-          Google Chrome to Phone Extension [DEPRECATED]

-          Google Contacts Launcher

-          Google Docs Offline

I haven't found anything malicious on these when researching them, but your move may vary.  Deleting them all stopped the malicious traffic.

Regards,
Carraig Stanwyck
USDA | OCIO | ASOC