[Snort-sigs] Manually download and install Snort Rules updates

Hanson.Webster at ...3973... Hanson.Webster at ...3973...
Mon Oct 20 15:16:55 EDT 2014

I am getting an error when downloading Snort rules updates with pulledpork:

Checking latest MD5 for snortrules-snapshot-2962.tar.gz....
        Error 500 when fetching https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/snortrules-snapshot-2962.tar.gz.md5 at /usr/local/snort/pulledpork/pulledpork.pl line 453
        main::md5file('5bdefe8b8ab9de3c9b8bc4d1f85a353d96d05f36', 'snortrules-snapshot-2962.tar.gz', '/tmp/', 'https://www.snort.org/reg-rules/') called at /usr/local/snort/pulledpork/pulledpork.pl line 1758

I believe it is a network/firewall issue as this IDS is on a different segment of the network and the other SNORT devices we have are able to successfully download the rules.  Until I can get our networking guys to fix this, is there a way to do this manually?  Could I take the rules that are downloaded to one of the other devices and copy them to this box?  Where would I find the rules and where would I copy them to?