[Snort-sigs] SNORT version lifecycle

Hanson.Webster at ...3973... Hanson.Webster at ...3973...
Mon Oct 20 09:59:49 EDT 2014

I am running 2.9.5.5, which according to the website went EOL back in February.  So now I have to update to 2.9.6.2.  It appears that the two previous versions 2.9.6.0 and 2.9.6.1 went EOL 6 months after they were released. So I was just assuming that most releases last 6 months?

Is there an easy procedure for keeping the SNORT versions up to date?  Even if we have to do it once a year,  that is a lot of overhead maintenance for us to perform on a system.  Is there an automated way to update SNORT or do we just download it and install it?  I originally built the snort device form source, do I also have to update the other supporting packages like epel, PCRE, libdnet, libpcap everytime?

From: Joel Esler (jesler) [mailto:jesler at ...3865...]
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 9:46 AM
To: Webster, Hanson
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] SNORT version lifecycle

EOL has nothing to do with “time” per say.

As is listed on the EOL page (www.snort.org/eol<http://www.snort.org/eol>), we support the latest patch version of the current major version and the latest patched version of the prior major version (So 2.9.6.2, 2.9.5.6)  (The third number being the major version).  When we introduce a new version (2.9.6.2), we support the last minor revision for 90 days, then it is EOL.

So, for instance, The next version with be 2.9.7.0, at which time, we will set 2.9.5.6 (two major versions down) to 90 day EOL.  We will support 2.9.6.2 until the next major version (2.9.8.0 or whatever we are calling it) is released.

Does that help?

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager