[Snort-sigs] SNORT version lifecycle

Joel Esler (jesler) jesler at ...3865...
Mon Oct 20 09:46:23 EDT 2014

EOL has nothing to do with “time” per say.

As is listed on the EOL page (www.snort.org/eol <http://www.snort.org/eol>), we support the latest patch version of the current major version and the latest patched version of the prior major version (So 2.9.6.2, 2.9.5.6)  (The third number being the major version).  When we introduce a new version (2.9.6.2), we support the last minor revision for 90 days, then it is EOL.

So, for instance, The next version with be 2.9.7.0, at which time, we will set 2.9.5.6 (two major versions down) to 90 day EOL.  We will support 2.9.6.2 until the next major version (2.9.8.0 or whatever we are calling it) is released.

Does that help?

--
Joel Esler
Open Source Manager