[Snort-sigs] A question on ethernet padding

James Lay jlay at ...3266...
Thu Jan 23 15:26:14 EST 2014

On 2014-01-23 13:20, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
> So there you go.. I was trying various offsets and depths and didn't
> seem to get it.  But I'll try that.  Thanks!
>

> BTW - Should that be part of the rule?  Since you wouldn't want those
> to fire if they had 0 data?
>

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 8:17 PM, James Lay <jlay at ...3266...>
> wrote:
>> On 2014-01-23 12:54, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
>>>
>>> I was wondering kind of the same question.. in regards to those new
>>> ICMP rules.  NetApps doing have any ICMP data, just the main
>>> requests,
>>> but there seems to always be 10 bytes |00| in what wireshark calls
>>> padding, and I'm curious if I can write the rule around that.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM, James Lay
>>> <jlay at ...3266...>

>> An end around around to NOT see these can be to add dsize:>1; to
>> your
>> rule...should nuke out these zero data pings.
>>
>> James

Yea..I've been making specific rules to match standard ping types that
are anomalous, and then a catch all rule.  Here's my catch all so far:

alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"Unusual PING detected"; icode:0;
itype:8; fragbits:!M; ttl:>10; dsize:>5;
content:!"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWABCDEFGHI"; depth:32;
content:!"0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuv"; depth:32;
content:!"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwabcdefghi"; depth:32;
classtype:bad-unknown; sid:10000119; rev:4;)

It's been a neat exercise seeing how I can hone it to fire on just
what's weird, not what's usual.

James