[Snort-sigs] [Emerging-Sigs] Cisco acquires Sourcefire ... should we be worried?

Kevin Ross kevross33 at ...3390...
Thu Sep 12 19:41:54 EDT 2013

Yeah but with MARS it was pretty much an undeveloped product that didn't
really adapt to new threats. Though they certainly put the advertising out
there like in 24 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3IeWw_vu9Q :)

So MARs really was dying and Cisco let it happen but I don't really see
Snort dying anytime soon and hopefully Cisco's acquisition will allow for
integration into their products (I would much rather have Snort IPS running
on ASA firewalls that the Cisco IPS software). Although for some reason I
get the idea that Cisco's aquisition may have have more to do with FireAMP
than Snort and Cisco trying to build up their threat intelligence
capabilities like with they acquired the Prague based company Cognitive
Security
http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac49/ac0/ac1/ac259/cognitivesecurity.html

Regards,
Kevin