[Snort-sigs] flowbits: netsenum

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...3507...
Thu May 30 16:05:04 EDT 2013

On 5/30/2013 14:53, Joel Esler wrote:
> On May 30, 2013, at 2:23 PM, waldo kitty <wkitty42 at ...3507...
> <mailto:wkitty42 at ...3507...>> wrote:
>> On 5/30/2013 07:01, Joel Esler wrote:

>>> Is that something you do? I'm not asking that to be a smartass, I'm asking
>>> if that's actually a use case that I haven't studied.
>>
>> we have had some folks do that so they could follow thru with the processing
>> flow and the rules that are seen... it was a mess that some of them regretted
>> having done and a revert of the updater's conf along with a new rules pack
>> download sussed that...
>>
>> at least they were smart enough to also adjust the priority to 5 or higher so
>> the reactive alert blocking mechanism didn't go blocking the entire internet
>> based on them ;)
>
> I can see the context for them may be interesting, but in the grand scheme of
> things, I don't know if it's truly necessary. I mean, if this is something that
> people want, I can do it, but it doesn't seem to be high on the priority list.

no... don't do that, really... if someone wants to see the flow, they can do
their own rules modifications...

what i ran into and the reason for my original posts, was that the bits were set
but there was nothing to check them... no indication of a SO only rule or just a
forgotten or commented out standard alert rule... that's why i ran my grep to
find out if there was a rule disabled by default for those flowbits setters...
if there was and it was disabled by default, then it might either need to be
enabled by default or the flowbits setter rule should also be disabled by default...

as far as SO rules go, i don't know about other environments but ours does not
use them by default... it requires specific and manual intervention to enable
them as well as making them work (generating the stubs in the proper place and
updating them when they change)... the fact that our environment it its own
distribution and not one of the big name brand one adds complication to the
process since they are distributed only in compiled form...