[Snort-sigs] Bases for writting snort rules

lists at ...3397... lists at ...3397...
Thu May 16 09:33:50 EDT 2013

On 05/16/2013 07:34 AM, Guy Martial Nkenne Tchassi wrote:
> Then for each treat, there is a
> sort of predefined set of actions that can be undertaken to eliminate the
> threats.

The 'References' section of the individual signatures are a good place to apply
some context around the particular signature and potential remediation options.
 That being said, the references are not comprehensive nor are they a road-map
to full remediation.  I'm unaware of any database that provides a mapping of
snort signatures to incident severity to remediation/mitigation methods.  As I
understand it this task is the responsibility of the IDS analyst and is actually
one of the core roles I believe an analyst should be capable of performing.
Remediation options and mitigation approaches will also vary based on
organizational risk assessment, LOB impact, etc.

Should such an undertaking occur to develop such a data warehouse I see it is
daunting with a high propensity to be incomplete and unable to address the niche
needs of each organization.

Cheers,
Nathan