[Snort-sigs] Create a rule that takes its content from a file.

arneu sneu arneu99 at ...12...
Wed May 15 04:01:36 EDT 2013

Thank you Tony for your answer.
I checked the sensitive data preprocessor, it can be interesting if I manage to describe the patterns I am looking for with the limited regular expression syntax available there.
I also check the reputation preprocessor, it's very similar to what I wanted to achieve but it's only for IP addresses.
I guess you're right, some rules already exist written in a way different than the one I was thinking of.

Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 20:38:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] Create a rule that takes its content from a file.
From: deusexmachina667 at ...2420...
To: arneu99 at ...12...; snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net; jesler at ...435...

(CC'ing the mailing list; I got this direct response)

In regards to blacklisted strings and terms, that almost sounds
like DLP or DLP-like function you're looking for to detect if sensitive
files or information leaves the network. You may want to have a look at
the sensitive data preprocessor, in that case.

In regards to the other stuff you want done, There are rules and rule categories that can do what it is you want snort to do:

file-identify for file extensions you don't want to see flying over the network

indicator-shellcode for shellcode over the network
malware-[backdor|cnc|other] for CNC/malware, blacklist.rules for blacklisted user-agents and/or domains...
and indicator-compromise.rules for suspicious activity.

At this point it's less "how do I write a rule to do this" and more "What rules exist that will do what I want?"