[Snort-sigs] Create a rule that takes its content from a file.

arneu sneu arneu99 at ...12...
Tue May 14 10:07:19 EDT 2013

Hi,

I just installed Snort a few days ago and started to play with it by writing my own rules.
I would like my rule to take its content from a file, but I haven't find any information on this topic, neither in the manual, nor on the Internet. I found that the content-list keyword once existed in Snort, but it has apparently been removed about 6 years ago. Too bad, because it was exactly what I was looking for.
Would anybody have an idea on how to do such a thing with current snort features? I could write a rule for each of the lines of my file or use pcre with the list of possible values, but I was wondering if there was a way to do it with a rule taking its content from a file. If not, what is the correct approach to do this?

As an example, if I have a file containing a whitelist of file extensions, I would like to raise an alert when an email attachment having an extension that is not in the list is seen in the network traffic.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Arneu