[Snort-sigs] Not-ing out ports

waldo kitty wkitty42 at ...3507...
Mon May 13 11:09:08 EDT 2013

On 5/13/2013 10:19, Lay, James wrote:
> Guessing you’ll want the !25 on both ends since it’s bidirectional:
>
> alert tcp !25 any <> any !25

note:  alert tcp any !25 <> any !25

i thought the same thing but then i thought about someone using port 25 to
tunnel like some do with port 53 and that didn't seem to be a good idea...

@OP: i'd take that rule and split it into at least two separate ones... one for
inbound and one for outbound... put these in your local.rules and disable the
current one that doesn't work as desired... then, maybe contact those who wrote
it and ask for a fix... maybe even provide your two working ones with an
explanation of why the original isn't working as desired ;)