[Snort-sigs] Snort rule for a pattern match?

Jamie Riden jamie.riden at ...2420...
Tue Mar 26 14:37:02 EDT 2013

I hate to suggest such a kludge, but I'm going to anyway:

Can you just generate all the possible rules using a perl script? Do
we know what range of starting characters are possible?

Joel will be along in a minute to tell you the proper way to do it :)

On 26 March 2013 18:01, Shields, Joseph (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
<joseph.shields at ...3788...> wrote:
> I’m reposting this question as I have not seen any responses yet.  Perhaps
> this can’t be done at this time.
>

> Brian
>

> I am looking for a pattern that identifies a threat I am tracking and need
> to write a signature to find it.  The problem is that I don’t know what the
> starting character will be but I will always know what the difference
> between two given characters will be.
>

> A simple, human readable, example is:
>

> ABCDTSRQ
>

> The difference between each character is:
>

> [A] is 1 SMALLER than [B] is 1 SMALLER than [C] is 1 SMALLER than [D] is 16
> SMALLER than [T] is 1 BIGGER than [S] is 1 BIGGER than [R] is 1 BIGGER than
> [Q]
>

> The pattern in this example is -1,-1,-1,-16,+1,+1,+1.
>

> BCDEXWVU would match this pattern and so would HIJKZXYW.
>

> How can I write this rule?
>

> Brian

Jamie Riden / jamie at ...3509... / jamie.riden at ...2420...
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jamieriden