[Snort-sigs] Reverse shell

Castle, Shane scastle at ...3555...
Mon Mar 25 11:24:06 EDT 2013

Default deny outbound is a hard sell around here (inbound was cake). For an organization highly concerned with security, DLP, etc., maybe not so much, but I have yet to get any traction for it. Sigh.

I've been trying to do it by groups: DMZ, servers, network gear are at least getting some outbound deny protection now, but it's not complete.

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Riden [mailto:jamie.riden at ...2420...]
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2013 01:46
To: Aisling Brennan
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] Reverse shell

You can detect most of these with signatures, but it's better to block
them frankly - just use a default DENY policy outbound on your
firewall. For example HTTP should only be allowed outbound from your
web proxy, DNS from your DNS resolvers, probably no SSH access needed
outbound...?

cheers,
 Jamie

--
Jamie Riden / jamie at ...3509... / jamie.riden at ...2420...
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jamieriden