[Snort-sigs] Mac OSX Ransomware

Nick Randolph drandolph at ...435...
Thu Jul 18 12:32:06 EDT 2013

I thought that the content match you had was unique enough to make the PCRE
unnecessary. Here is what the rule will look like.

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"MALWARE-OTHER
Mac OSX FBI ransomware"; flow:to_client,established; file_data;
content:"<iframe src=|22|YOUR|25|20BROWSER|25|20HAS|25|20BEEN|25|20LOCKED";
fast_pattern:only; metadata:impact_flag red, policy balanced-ips drop,
policy security-ips drop, ruleset community, service http; reference:url,
blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/07/fbi-ransomware-now-targeting-apples-mac-os-x-users/;
classtype:trojan-activity; sid:27246; rev:1;)

Thanks Paul

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:20 AM, Paul Bottomley
<Paul.Bottomley at ...3813...>wrote:

>  Morning!****
>
> ** **
>
> Probably not the best written rule given the amount of matches on the
> regex and I’m sure there are loads of ways to write this rule (see source
> on pastebin link), so if anyone wants to better this feel free J****
>
> ** **
>

> http://blog.malwarebytes.org/intelligence/2013/07/fbi-ransomware-now-targeting-apples-mac-os-x-users/
> ****
>
> http://pastebin.com/THRQ1Xp2****
>
> ** **
>
> alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"[DELIVERY] Mac
> OSX Ransomware Excessive iframes"; flow:to_client,established; file_data;
> content:"<iframe src=|22|YOUR|25|20BROWSER|25|20HAS|25|20BEEN|25|20LOCKED";
> fast_pattern; pcre:"/(?:<iframe\s+src=.*){150}/";............)****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> Paul****
>
> ** **

> In order to protect our email recipients, Betfair Group use SkyScan from

Nick Randolph
Research Engineer
Sourcefire, Inc.
nrandolph at ...435...