[Snort-sigs] Couple sigs - Firefox plugins

James Lay jlay at ...3266...
Wed Sep 26 10:40:57 EDT 2012

Hey all,

Here's what I got:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"POLICY
Firefox Plugin install"; flow:to_server,established; content:"mozilla";
http_uri; content:".xpi"; http_uri;
reference:url,http://research.zscaler.com/2012/09/how-to-install-silently-malicious.html;
classtype:bad-unknown; sid:10000029; rev:1)

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"POLICY
Possible Firefox Plugin install from non-trusted source";
flow:to_server,established; content:!"mozilla"; http_uri;
content:".xpi"; http_uri;
reference:url,http://research.zscaler.com/2012/09/how-to-install-silently-malicious.html;
classtype:bad-unknown; sid:10000030; rev:1)

My only thought to these is that the second could FP on a link that
contains ".xpi".  Tried to pcre it up with pcre:"/\.xpi$/i"; but that
caused the rule not to fire, so maybe I could get an assist with that.
Sanity check was good, tested the first one and it works, but not the
second (untrusted Firefox plugins be no bueno).  Thanks all.

James