[Snort-sigs] typical errors when trying pulledpork

Joel Esler jesler at ...435...
Fri Sep 7 18:17:27 EDT 2012

If you are not a subscriber, yes. You'll need to wait your 15 minutes.

But no, 2.9.2 is no longer supported. Please see the bottom of http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policyfor currently supported versions and when they will expire.

--
Joel Esler

On Sep 7, 2012, at 4:17 PM, PR <oly562 at ...2420...> wrote:

> i guess i should wait 15 mins? i dont think i can grab another since i
> dont pay for rules... what do you think? should i just go for it?
>

> On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 13:15 -0700, PR wrote:
>> next error... i mv'd this file, guess i should put it back...
>>
>> ./pulledpork.pl -c /usr/local/etc/pulledpork-0.6.1/etc/pulledpork.conf
>> -I Security
>>
>>    http://code.google.com/p/pulledpork/
>>      _____ ____
>>     `----,\    )
>>      `--==\\  /    PulledPork v0.6.1 the Smoking Pig <////~
>>       `--==\\/
>>     .-~~~~-.Y|\\_  Copyright (C) 2009-2011 JJ Cummings
>>  @_/        /  66\_  cummingsj at ...2420...
>>    |    \   \   _(")
>>     \   /-| ||'--'  Rules give me wings!
>>      \_\  \_\\
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Checking latest MD5 for snortrules-snapshot-2920.tar.gz....
>> Rules tarball download of snortrules-snapshot-2920.tar.gz....
>>    They Match
>>    Done!
>> Prepping rules from snortrules-snapshot-2920.tar.gz for work....
>>    Done!
>> Reading rules...
>> Generating Stub Rules....
>>    An error occurred: ERROR: Unable to open rules file
>> "/usr/local/etc/snort/database.conf": No such file or directory.
>>
>>    An error occurred: Fatal Error, Quitting..
>>

>> more to follow....
>>
>> On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 12:30 -0700, PR wrote:
>>> opps, i figured out my mistake lolol...
>>>
>>> ok but now i run into the same prob as before. versioning!
>>>

>>> here is what i get when i do the cmd properly at tail of stdout:
>>>
>>> The specified Snort binary does not exist!
>>> Please correct the value or specify the FULL rules tarball name in the
>>> pulledpork.conf!
>>> at ./pulledpork.pl line 1736.
>>>
>>> i will goto pulledpork.pl line 1736 now. brb.......
>>>

>>> ok, i thought, no i swear it says on snort.org page, pulledpork will
>>> automajically decide which version to download/upgrade rules too.
>>>

>>> -*> Snort! <*-
>>>  o"  )~   Version 2.9.2 IPv6 GRE (Build 78)
>>>   ''''    By Martin Roesch & The Snort Team:
>>>
>>> so...... let me guess 2.9.2 isnt "supported" here is what i think, i
>>> think it's too hard for anyone to simply update rules unless you always
>>> update your snort program to the same version, thats just ludacrious!
>>>
>>> yes im running acidbase, yes it was loaded with apt-get install
>>> snort-mysql snort acidbase, so what...
>>>
>>> i can move files and confs to point in right direction, not the issue,
>>> its the updating of the snort program and ONLY allowing automation to
>>> those who either
>>> 1. pay
>>> 2. pay to have you guys install
>>> 3. pay to stay current