[Snort-sigs] Question about Content-Disposition, Content-Type, etc. and http_header buffer

Mike Cox mike.cox52 at ...2420...
Wed Oct 17 13:04:28 EDT 2012

Hi Joel,

I appreciate your timely response and feedback.

I believe the issue here is that HTTP headers normally seen in the initial
HTTP data are being sent in subsequent packets (as a result of
multipart/form-data POSTS) and formatted differently from the standard HTTP
header.  I hope I made this clear in previous emails but some simple Google
searches would also help illuminate what I'm talking about.  I'd rather not
get in to a RFC argument with you (if you really want to we can but,
apparently this is a standard format and accepted by both modern browsers
and servers).

My concern here is Snort rules that are looking for data normally in the
HTTP headers (using the http_header buffer) do not work in the case of some
multipart/form data POSTS.  This means that snort rules are not alerting as
intended (and introduces an IDS bypass avenue, albeit somewhat paltry in
terms of eloquence but nonetheless functional).

Does Sourcefire/VRT,etc. intend to account for this in future http-inspect
capabilities or should we modify our current rules to do inefficient,
global content matches?  Or is there another solution that I am missing
here?  What can we do *now*?

Thanks.

-Mike Cox