[Snort-sigs] Only an empty Alert file :(

Dean Farwood dean_farwood at ...1143...
Tue Mar 13 09:30:41 EDT 2012

Joel,

Thanks for your interest.

I followed your advice and logged the session as -K pcap. I checked the
capture on Wireshark and indeed, the word "password" is included in one of
the frames.

Interestingly I had to use the command

snort -dev -l /etc/snort/log2 -K pcap

When I tried the command

snort -dev -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -l /etc/snort/log2 -K pcap

nothing was logged except that darned empty alert file.

I wish I knew why adding the -c argument messes up logging?

Dean