[Snort-sigs] Advanced DNS rules

Curt Shaffer cshaffer at ...2420...
Sun Feb 19 13:51:38 EST 2012

I'm looking for some information on way to look for malformed DNS
packets. Mainly looking for large UDP requests (dsize:>512) that are
NOT DNSSEC related, and a rule looking for the reserved flag (Z),
reference here: http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/dns.htm#Z,
in the DNS Flags field. I'm having trouble finding decent
documentation. I have the following:

Detects large packets, but want this to alert only if we are not using DNSSEC:

alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 53 (msg:" Inbound Large DNS
Packet Detected NOT DNSSEC";  dsize:> 512; classtype:dns;  sid:xxxxx;
rev:1; )

The following I thought would work for the reserved bit (Z), but I am
getting alerts even when the bit is not set:

alert udp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 53 (msg:"DNS Reserved Bit
Set"; content:!"|00|"; offset:25; classtype:dns; sid:9000246; rev:1;)

Can anyone point me at some documentation for Snort on these topics or
lend a hand to help see what I'm missing?

Thanks

Curt