[Snort-sigs] [Emerging-Sigs] Downloading older versions of snort

Mike Cox mike.cox52 at ...2420...
Fri Aug 10 13:51:47 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Joel Esler <jesler at ...435...> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Mike Cox <mike.cox52 at ...2420...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Joel.  Ultimately I would like to be able to
> download/compile/run/analyze snort 2.8 versions thru the current
> version.  Do you  have links?
>

> They aren't publicly available, I'll have to dig them out from storage
> somewhere.
>
> I guess I could start my own repo of snort versions going forward (I'm
> guessing this is OK since it would be publicly available and Snort is
> Open Source) but I don't think it would come in handy form for another
> two to five years.
>

> Like I said before, maybe we can put them up somewhere for reference and
> people can get to them.  I need to think about what's the best way to do
> that (considering our backend hosting, etc)
>

>  Maybe someone better at Sourceforge/github/etc.
> could do this and/or Sourcefire could assist since they have all the
> code (and aren't scared of the past or being fully Open Source).
>

> I don't understand your "fully Open Source" comment.  We've never hid
> anything.  Our code has always been open source, and as long as Marty is
> around, always will be.

Awesome!  So where is the historical code?  (Seriously, not trying to
be a jerk  but where is it?)

Joel, I'm sorry, I apologize for being somewhat demanding and I
totally understand that once SF went public/got external
funding/pressures/etc. that priories changed.  We all have to make a
buck when we need it.  I was just hoping that such a great product
like Snort, which claims to be "Open Source" would be more willing to
share the source of past releases instead of to trying to "bury/hide
the past".  There is a lot to be learned from the past and the
evolutionary process is great and understanding/reflecting/analyzing
it is always good for the Open Source lifecycle.

I'd rather not continue this thread ad nauseam and what I'm looking
for is is simply historical code for an allegedly Open Source product.
 If this is not convenient (or amenable with shareholders) I am happy
to transition to Open Source products that will accommodate my needs .
Please let me know.

Thanks!

-Mike Cox