[Snort-sigs] [Emerging-Sigs] Downloading older versions of snort

Joel Esler jesler at ...435...
Fri Aug 10 10:55:06 EDT 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 10:29 AM, Mike Cox <mike.cox52 at ...2420...> wrote:
> Thanks Joel.  Ultimately I would like to be able to
> download/compile/run/analyze snort 2.8 versions thru the current
> version.  Do you  have links?

They aren't publicly available, I'll have to dig them out from storage somewhere.

> I guess I could start my own repo of snort versions going forward (I'm
> guessing this is OK since it would be publicly available and Snort is
> Open Source) but I don't think it would come in handy form for another
> two to five years.

Like I said before, maybe we can put them up somewhere for reference and people can get to them.  I need to think about what's the best way to do that (considering our backend hosting, etc)

>  Maybe someone better at Sourceforge/github/etc.
> could do this and/or Sourcefire could assist since they have all the
> code (and aren't scared of the past or being fully Open Source).

I don't understand your "fully Open Source" comment.  We've never hid anything.  Our code has always been open source, and as long as Marty is around, always will be.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT