[Snort-sigs] snort rule tuning and weeding out false positives

Youngquist, Jason R. jryoungquist at ...3572...
Thu Mar 17 08:30:19 EDT 2011

Hi.

I'm new to Snort and am trying to weed out false positives and ignore events that are purely informational.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good howtos/docs/methodology on how to go about Snort rule tuning.

For example, I have this rule, sid 17441, which is "CHAT MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger Code Execution attempt" and have gotten it several times from multiple student machines.  It appears that this was an issue back in 2007 with Microsoft MSN Messenger 6.2, 7.0, and 7.5.  Right now,  Windows Live Messenger 2011 seems to be the current version.  So assuming that this is a false positive and I can ignore this rule.  Thoughts?

Thanks.
Jason Youngquist
Information Technology Security Engineer
Technology Services
Columbia College
1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216
(573) 875-7334
jryoungquist at ...3572...<mailto:jryoungquist at ...3572...>
http://www.ccis.edu<http://www.ccis.edu/>