[Snort-sigs] FP on 1:18369:2 - BLACKLIST USER-AGENT known malicious user-agent string iexp-get

Matt Olney molney at ...435...
Sun Mar 13 18:58:07 EDT 2011

Actually, in this case this isn't a false positive.  The alert is on a
web get with a user agent "iexp-get" which is associated with
baidu.com.  Baidu is considered adware and malware from some sources
(I'm not judging one way or another) and has a rule here for use if
you see fit.  So you have a policy decision.  If you allow the baidu
service, you can disable the rule.  Otherwise, it worked :)

Ghost makes a good point on properly terminating string searches.  We
correctly do that here and limit the search to the header:
 content:"User-Agent|3A| iexp-get|0D 0A|"; nocase; http_header;

The metadata:impact_flag is used by the Sourcefire appliance to
prioritize alerts.  In certain circumstances, particularly in malware,
we need to explicitly call out the level of the alert.  This has no
impact on opensource users.

Matt