[Snort-sigs] RulePack update and End of Life of 2.8.6.0

Castle, Shane scastle at ...3555...
Thu Jan 6 15:38:49 EST 2011

The home page (http://www.snortsam.net/) gives a succinct explanation of
the idea behind it and how in general it works.

I use it with Snort and some modified rules (ET has a whole set of rules
with "fwsam") to generate automatic blocks on our Check Point firewall.
Granted, it's not true IPS, but it adds another bit of protection while
still permitting more IDS rules to be allowed, which I could not do if
running in IPS mode. As you know, FPs can't be tolerated very well for
HIPS.

For instance: we have a couple of Windows RDP-accessible devices on
which we don't permit administrative logins. If Snort rule 4060 triggers
(POLICY RDP attempted administrator connection request), it will send a
block message to the firewall and the IP that tried to connect as
administrator is completely blocked from our network for 24 hours. This
is done easily without actually modifying any rules by means of a
"sid-block.map" file that has the rule number and how long to block
correlated.

I use the components of snortsam with other systems, too, so that
certain events will trigger a firewall block, but those don't involve
Snort so aren't really relevant.

--
Shane Castle
Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT