[Snort-sigs] RulePack update and End of Life of 2.8.6.0

Joel Esler jesler at ...435...
Thu Jan 6 14:50:30 EST 2011


I understand.  

We don't maintain the SnortSam mod, so I can't help you there.  But you can upgrade to 2.8.6.1 if you can't go to 2.9.0.3.  I understand that is a segment of users out there that are on RHEL5 and it has an older version of installed libpcap that people are having to recompile.

J


On Jan 6, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Castle, Shane wrote:

> I can't add the SnortSam mods to any release >2.8.6.0 on my RHEL5
> install. Plans are in place to migrate either to RH6 or a different
> Linux distro so I can haz all the newer required components but it ain't
> happening very quickly (sigh).
> 
> -- 
> Shane Castle
> Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT
> CISSP GSEC GCIH
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joel Esler [mailto:jesler at ...435...] 
> Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:37
> To: Castle, Shane
> Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net; snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net;
> snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] RulePack update and End of Life of 2.8.6.0
> 
> Why do you have to find a new OS?  Using an old version of RH or
> something?
> 
> Can't you use 2.8.6.1?
> 
> J
> 
> On Jan 6, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Castle, Shane wrote:
> 
>> Crap. Now I have to find a new OS. What, you couldn't wait another 6
>> months?
>> 
>> -- 
>> Shane Castle
>> Data Security Mgr, Boulder County IT
>> CISSP GSEC GCIH
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Joel Esler [mailto:jesler at ...435...] 
>> Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2011 12:24
>> To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net;
> snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net;
>> snort-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
>> Subject: [Snort-sigs] RulePack update and End of Life of 2.8.6.0
>> 
>> All--
>> 
>> I just put up a blog post about the newest rulepack update and the EOL
>> of 2.8.6.0's support for VRT rules.
>> 
>> Please review it at:
>> 
> http://blog.snort.org/2011/01/vrt-rule-update-available-now-and-eol.html
>> 
>> Thanks!
>> 
>> Joel Esler
>> Manager, OpenSource Community
> 





More information about the Snort-sigs mailing list