[Snort-sigs] [Emerging-Sigs] [Snort-users] Snort 2.8.6.1 EOL Reminder

Nathan nathan at ...3397...
Thu Dec 1 22:05:42 EST 2011

On Dec 1, 2011, at 20:49, Joel Esler <jesler at ...435...> wrote:

> There is no such thing as "Sourcefire, non-VRT"

I really wish this were not the case as it would be nice to see some type of mechanism for community-contributed signatures/rules not just feedback on the VRT signatures/rules.

I know there are some differences in scope and mission between ET and VRT but is there a current mechanism on the Sourcefire side to allow submission of community findings/rules/"emerging threats"?

If there is please let me know as I would like to contribute.  Forgive my ignorance if this mechanism already exists and I have missed it.  Looking at the licensing it does not appear there is a community-rules license and submissions are owned by VRT.  I also do not ser submissions on snort-sigs but I may be looking in the wrong place :(

A Sourcefire community-based ruleset would be awesome!

Joel has been a very valuable resource both with the VRT and aiding those over at ET.  I am glad to have been assisted by him many times; thank you Joel.

Thanks,
Nathan