[Snort-sigs] [Snort-users] Snort 2.8.6.1 EOL Reminder

Thu Dec 1 16:25:17 EST 2011

I've been curious what the differences between the ET paid rules and the VRT subscription rules are? I'm hoping this can be discussed without opening a huge flame war. :)  For background, I'm currently running the VRT subscription rules with the ET free rules.

For instance, the VRT is part of the MS program that releases vuln data early (and typically these rules are .so rules).  Does ET get this data?  How do they deal with non-disclosure, since I think all the rules are text based?

For the most part, is everything in the VRT ruleset covered in the ET ruleset?  Could I drop VRT for instance and just run ET pro?

-----Original Message-----
From: L0rd Ch0de1m0rt [mailto:l0rdch0de1m0rt at ...2420...]
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:06 PM
To: Joel Esler
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net; snortusers at ...3575...; snort-users at ...1708...sts.sourceforge.net Users; Snort-Signatures
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] [Snort-sigs] Snort 2.8.6.1 EOL Reminder

Thanks for the reminder, Joel.  Those who can't upgrade to a newer or newest version of Snort, or wish to use a different ruleset alongside, or instead of the VRT set, should definitely check out Emerging Threats Pro -- http://www.emergingthreatspro.com/.  The Emerging Threats Open rules are free and updated almost daily to respond to the latest threats and I have found them to be quite effective, timely, and properly QAed.  There are also some you can pay for as well (cheaper than VRT I think); see http://www.emergingthreatspro.com/products/ for details.

Emerging Threats Open/Pro supports rules for Snort 2.4.0 up to the current version, as well as rules optimised for Suricata (http://www.openinfosecfoundation.org/index.php/download-suricata).
Personally, I like https://rules.emergingthreatspro.com/open-nogpl/.

That said, if you are still running an older version of Snort, I highly encourage you to update since there are a lot of new and extremely helpful features in newer versions that allow for more accurate and efficient rules.

Cheers,

-L0rd Ch0de1m0rt

On 11/28/11, Joel Esler <jesler at ...435...> wrote:
> As a reminder, today's rule release marks the last rule release for
> Snort
> 2.8.6.1:
>
> http://blog.snort.org/2011/11/vrt-rule-update-for-11282011.html
>
> Please upgrade to the current version of Snort (2.9.1.2) available at
> http://www.snort.org/snort-downloads
>
> Our EOL policy and dates of EOL for Snort versions can be found here:
>
> http://www.snort.org/vrt/rules/eol_policy
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Joel Esler
> Senior Research Engineer, VRT
> OpenSource Community Manager
> Sourcefire

All the data continuously generated in your IT infrastructure contains a definitive record of customers, application performance, security threats, fraudulent activity, and more. Splunk takes this data and makes sense of it. IT sense. And common sense.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-novd2d