[Snort-sigs] Snort 2.8.6.1 EOL Reminder

L0rd Ch0de1m0rt l0rdch0de1m0rt at ...2420...
Thu Dec 1 16:05:49 EST 2011

Thanks for the reminder, Joel.  Those who can't upgrade to a newer or
newest version of Snort, or wish to use a different ruleset alongside,
or instead of the VRT set, should definitely check out Emerging
Threats Pro -- http://www.emergingthreatspro.com/.  The Emerging
Threats Open rules are free and updated almost daily to respond to the
latest threats and I have found them to be quite effective, timely,
and properly QAed.  There are also some you can pay for as well
(cheaper than VRT I think); see
http://www.emergingthreatspro.com/products/ for details.

Emerging Threats Open/Pro supports rules for Snort 2.4.0 up to the
current version, as well as rules optimised for Suricata
(http://www.openinfosecfoundation.org/index.php/download-suricata).
Personally, I like https://rules.emergingthreatspro.com/open-nogpl/.

That said, if you are still running an older version of Snort, I
highly encourage you to update since there are a lot of new and
extremely helpful features in newer versions that allow for more
accurate and efficient rules.

Cheers,

-L0rd Ch0de1m0rt