[Snort-sigs] does snort pick up lthe izamoon attack?

Alex Kirk akirk at ...435...
Fri Apr 1 14:13:29 EDT 2011

As it turns out, SID 13989 will detect the injection attack.

Our honeypots had noticed some interesting data around that rule, and around
the same time we noticed this posting:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3788080/attack-on-asp-site-that-uses-a-sql-server-database

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3788080/attack-on-asp-site-that-uses-a-sql-server-database>It's
pretty clear that the query shown on that page is what's being used to
spread this. Additionally, Jason, props to you for recognizing that a rule
should skip the domain, since a link off of the above page shows live
attacks have used distinct domains; the rule you've posted above will work
in the wild.

For what it's worth, SID 13989 is disabled by default, since it was
considered somewhat experimental when it was written. Since it did a pretty
good job of detecting ASPRox, and now this Lizamoon thing, we may consider
putting it into some policies for people - though I'd be curious to get
feedback from the list on that.