[Snort-sigs] Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort Rules Update 2010-09-27

Alex Kirk akirk at ...435...
Tue Sep 28 11:20:31 EDT 2010

No, you're not off your rocker - and you're not the only person to point
this out this morning. We've got a fix ready for the next SEU, and you're
100% correct to have disabled it in the meantime. It'll be turned off by
default in the next SEU anyway.

Oh, and we know this is old coverage - we had a request to deal with some
older bugs like this one, and we obliged.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM, infosec posts <infosec.posts at ...2420...>wrote:

> I have to ask, because I must be missing something here.
>
> SID:17494 - web-client.rules - alert tcp $HOME_NET any ->
> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"WEB-CLIENT Microsoft Internet Explorer
> Long URL Buffer Overflow attempt"; flow:established,to_server;
> urilen:>260; content:"GET"; http_method; content:"HTTP|2F|1|2E|1|0D
> 0A|"; metadata:service http; reference:bugtraq,19667;
> reference:cve,2006-3869; classtype:attempted-user; sid:17494; rev:1;)
>
> Unless I am mistaken, we got a brand new signature for something that
> was patched in 2006 (IE 6.0 SP1 on WinXP XP1).  It was also written so
> broadly that I'm north of 90,000 alerts in an 8-hour overnight time
> window before I killed the signature, and still counting as the
> buffers flush out from my sensors.
>
> Am I off my rocker, or is this a "WTF?" signature reminiscent of the
> great SMTP FP debacle in the past?
>

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Research <research at ...435...> wrote:

Alex Kirk
AEGIS Program Lead
Sourcefire Vulnerability Research Team
+1-410-423-1937