[Snort-sigs] Snort 2.9.0.1 Now Available

Randal T. Rioux randy at ...3530...
Wed Nov 3 22:26:56 EDT 2010

http://www.pulledbyakite.com/funnypics/horse.gif

> So as soon as a new "three digit" release comes out, the old stuff is
> not supported?  What about all the snorts in embedded devices (over 100
> from what I read)?  What about bugs?  For example, 2.9.0 comes out and
> according to this thread, there are bug with HTTP inspect and stream
> reassembly.  But people are forced to upgrade since 2.8.x is no longer
> supported.  But then they upgrade to a buggy version that can be
> bypassed and it seems like catch-22.

I don't think Sourcefire should be responsible for "supporting" products
based on (or using) Snort that are either not from Sourcefire or are
from a leech company.

If Sourcefire makes it, or licenses it, there is a system in place to
ensure quality.

Places that use Snort (not Sourcefire) do so because they a) have staff
with mad skillz in-house and b) work them to death because they're too
cheap to buy a "supported" product. Expect some heavy lifting.

That being said, I do find the x.x.x.x versioning system frightening :-)

Randy