[Snort-sigs] [Emerging-Sigs] [Snort-devel] Snort 2.9.0.1 Now Available

Matthew Jonkman jonkman at ...3525...
Wed Nov 3 10:56:13 EDT 2010

On Nov 3, 2010, at 9:39 AM, Miso Patel wrote:

> This is concerning to me and not something I expect from an enterprise product.  I think I've mentioned this before but Windows XP is still supported after more than 10 years.
>
> So as soon as a new "three digit" release comes out, the old stuff is not supported?  What about all the snorts in embedded devices (over 100 from what I read)?  What about bugs?  For example, 2.9.0 comes out and according to this thread, there are bug with HTTP inspect and stream reassembly.  But people are forced to upgrade since 2.8.x is no longer supported.  But then they upgrade to a buggy version that can be bypassed and it seems like catch-22.
>
> Now I am curious, what is the support model for Suricata?  I know ET Pro supports rules back to 2.4 but does OISF/Suricata adopt the same stance as Sourcefire here?

I feel your pain, that's one reason we exist. We will continue to support all the way back to 2.4 as long as it is used by customers. We have several that are using our rules for embedded devices that have no capability or benefit from upgrading.

Same with suricata. We'll support old versions back as long as they're in use.

If we hit the 10 year mark on 2.4 then we can take a second look, or stop adding new rules. But we'll not discontinue distributing what exists for certain.

Matt

Matthew Jonkman
Emergingthreats.net
Emerging Threats Pro