[Snort-sigs] [Emerging-Sigs] [Snort-devel] Snort 2.9.0.1 Now Available

Miso Patel miso.patel at ...2420...
Wed Nov 3 09:39:28 EDT 2010

This is concerning to me and not something I expect from an enterprise
product.  I think I've mentioned this before but Windows XP is still
supported after more than 10 years.

So as soon as a new "three digit" release comes out, the old stuff is not
supported?  What about all the snorts in embedded devices (over 100 from
what I read)?  What about bugs?  For example, 2.9.0 comes out and according
to this thread, there are bug with HTTP inspect and stream reassembly.  But
people are forced to upgrade since 2.8.x is no longer supported.  But then
they upgrade to a buggy version that can be bypassed and it seems like
catch-22.

Now I am curious, what is the support model for Suricata?  I know ET Pro
supports rules back to 2.4 but does OISF/Suricata adopt the same stance as
Sourcefire here?

Miso Patel, CISO