[Snort-sigs] congratulations to snort! for getting the sourceforge.net project of the month!

Joel Esler jesler at ...435...
Thu Dec 16 20:45:55 EST 2010

Slightly funny story about this --

Since we haven't used Sourceforge.net to distribute the Snort software anymore (snort.org only, in fact, the only thing that still runs on Sourceforge are the mailing lists), when they announced that we had won the POTM award, we noticed that people were downloading the version of Snort that was last put up on Sourceforge many years ago (I think it was like, 1.8.7 or something?) and were downloading it hundreds of times a day!  So I had to fix that quickly.

So I updated it to the current version (2.9.0.2) and people have been downloading Snort 200-300x a day since. (Approaching nearly 4000 downloads in the past two weeks in addition to the tons of downloads on Snort.org!)

I had announced that we had won this on the old Snort.org's news section, but not a lot of people saw it apparently.  Thanks for bringing it up Waldo Kitty.

Joel Esler
Manager, OpenSource Community