[Snort-sigs] how can we alert on web visiting activity?

Matt Olney molney at ...435...
Thu Nov 19 14:47:07 EST 2009

Mary,

If we were to write a rule covering this, this is what it most likely would be:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"MISC Ebay
site access"; flow: to_server, established; content:"ebay.com";
http_header; classtype: misc-activity; sid: 4;)

Against a pcap of me browsing to ebay.com with Chrome, I get the following:

[molney at ...3412... ~]$ stest ebay.pcap -l

Snort Test Suite v.0.3.0

Alerts:
1:4:0           MISC Ebay site access
          Alerts: 37

Your issue is in how you've setup and configured Snort, not Snort or
the rules language.

Matt