[Snort-sigs] Sourcefire VRT Certified Snort Rules Update

evilghost at ...3397... evilghost at ...3397...
Tue Nov 17 15:13:53 EST 2009

Nigel, thank you for this response, however, I believe it to be a
reasonable expectation that the VRT announcement emails which are made
to this list, with a corresponding URL to the Change Log, function
correctly at not be 404.  Additionally, when an issue is reported it
would be nice to have this addressed in a timely basis and
comprehensively; due diligence should be done to verify the Change Log
is actually working as expected before claiming it is, as it only makes
SourceFire look incompetent when the converse is true.

As of now the notification system for VRT appears to be diffused across
many different mechanisms, from sporadic functioning mailing lists to
Blogs.  While I'm not opposed to another technological approach to
management of the Snort rules and the accompanying change notification
it is a disservice to your VRT subscriber base to continue in this
downward spiral of mismanagement and haphazard issue resolution.

I could only hope that the information available of Snort.org would be
an authoritative source, the URLs in VRT announcement messages would be
functional, and that I should not have to rely on additional tool to
perform what is purported to already exist.

As a paying VRT subscriber I am entitled to make these criticisms,
especially when they have merit.

Thanks,
evilghost