[Snort-sigs] simple question, where to download the community rules ?

Joel Esler eslerj at ...2420...
Thu Jul 2 08:16:30 EDT 2009

You are incorrect.  The Snort rules ARE free, they always have been.  If you
want the rules on the day they come out, then you have to pay the fee,
otherwise, after 30 days, they are free.
The community ruleset was just under a different license (gpl) than the vrt
license.

The community ruleset will be brought over eventually, just in a different
form.  There is plans in the works to help rule downloads be more seemless
for the user and that's what we are waiting on.

Joel

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Kuang-Chun Cheng <kccheng at ...3382...
> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:48 AM, Heath Duke <heath.duke at ...3363...>wrote:
>
>>  It’s my understanding that the community rules haven’t been updated in
>> over a year and snort removed them when moving to new site. I’m just using
>> the emerging and snort rules.
>>

> Thanks for reply.
> So, snort rules is not free anymore.  And since snort (NIDS mode) requires
> rules, snort is, in practical,  no more free solution.  Correct ?
>
> Regards
> KC

joel esler | Sourcefire | AIM: eslerjoel | 302-223-5974