[Snort-sigs] detection of smurf attack

sofia insat sofia.insat at ...174...
Tue Dec 1 03:57:51 EST 2009

I want to alert this attack when I detect the first 20 ICMP packets per second
how can I do it?

--- En date de : Mar 1.12.09, Rodrigo Montoro(Sp0oKeR) <spooker at ...3420....> a écrit :

De: Rodrigo Montoro(Sp0oKeR) <spooker at ...2420...>
Objet: Re: [Snort-sigs] detection of smurf attack
À: "sofia insat" <sofia.insat at ...174...>
Cc: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Date: Mardi 1 Décembre 2009, 1h39

"Since potentially many events will be generated, a detection filter
would normally be used in conjunction with
an event filter to reduce the number of logged events."

Read README.filter at doc directory in tarball .

BTW your rule will trigger any icmp packet (ipv4/ipv6) . Read
README.ipv6 too  =)

Regards,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM, sofia insat <sofia.insat at ...174...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to detect smurf attaque with ICMPv6 paquet
> I have used detection_filter and threshold like this:
> lert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"---------- DOS IPV6: SMURF -----------";
> detection_filter: track by_src, count 30, seconds 1; sid:1000009;)
> alert icmp any any -> any any (msg:"---------- DOS IPV6: SMURF
> -----------"; threshold: type limit, track by_src, count 30, seconds 1;
> sid:10000010;)
>
> but in alert file I obtain all the alerts
> The script of smurf attack that I have used generates about17000 echo
> request paquets per second and I want to have only one alert
>
> Thanks

Rodrigo Montoro (Sp0oKeR)
http://www.spooker.com.br
http://www.twitter.com/spookerlabs