[Snort-sigs] About the connection in the alert of BackDoor

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...435...
Mon Jan 7 09:47:46 EST 2008

You have to look at it a couple ways.

HOME_NET any -> EXTERNAL_NET any okay, so the connection is taking place going outbound from my network.

to_server -> okay, so the the connection is taking place STARTING on my network (the initial SYN was sent from my network).

So what this looks like to me is that your network has ALREADY been "infected" with this backdoor, and the machine that is affected is beconing back home to it's master.

What sid is the EML rule?

Don't judge "who the attacker is" by the direction of the flow.  You have to take alot of things into consideration.

Joel

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 02:08:20PM +0800, it looks like Sun sent me: