[Snort-sigs] New revs? of old sigs causing Snort to die

Jeff Dell jdell at ...178...
Wed Oct 24 08:40:09 EDT 2007

I am looking at the website now and I don't see a download for the
non-subscription v2.8 rules. I see the download for Snort v2.8 subscription
though.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-sigs-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-sigs-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Nigel
Houghton
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 10:43 AM
To: snort-sigs at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-sigs] New revs? of old sigs causing Snort to die

On  0, Jeff Dell <jdell at ...178...> wrote:
> It sure would be nice to have a static name for downloading rulesets. If
> people don't keep up with the new versions of Snort, they could have
> problems like this when the ruleset has a name change.

The rulesets have a static name. They follow this convention for
registered rules:

 snortrules-snapshot-<major version>_<minor version>.tar.gz

The subscriber rulesets have an _s appended to the name.

The only difference are the CURRENT rulesets which should only be used
if you are following snort CURRENT from CVS.

So, for registered users using Snort 2.7.x the ruleset name would be:

 snortrules-snapshot-2_7.tar.gz

--
Nigel Houghton
Office Linebacker